The Works Council/University Council (Ondernemingsraad) is an organ that actively participates in decision making within the university. The Council gives approval or advice on important financial, judicial, education, research, housing and other matters directly affecting the employees and our university as a whole. Following elections in spring 2014 ProVU obtained 7 seats in the Council. Because of members finishing their PhDs we are now looking for candidates to fill vacancies from January 2016 until April 2017.
What are the requirements?
– Dutch-speaking (you don’t have to be a native speaker or speak perfect Dutch, but do need to be able to have good written and oral communication skills),
– You are a PhD candidate, postdoc, lecturer or have affinity with these groups,
– Willing to spend 8 hours per week (you will be compensated in money or time),
– Willing to learn about our university: the structure, how decisions are made, what our vision is for the future, etc
– You enjoy discussing and debating about a wide variety of issues affecting all employees of the university.
How much time does it take?
You are paid for and expected to work 8 hours a week. If you have a contract for 4 days or less, you can choose to have a paid extra day. If you have a contract for 5 days/36+ hours, you will be compensated in time. In practical terms, this means that taking a seat in the Council is time-neutral. You will receive an extension of your contract depending on your Council term.
How often are the meetings?
Twice a month there is a meeting with the whole Council and/or Student Council and/or Executive Board of the University. The other weeks are committee meetings which are more flexible. Most of these meetings are on a fixed day: Wednesday. You can find the schedule on the website: ondernemingsraadvu.nl
Do I have to be present during every meeting?
If you have a conference or teaching obligations it is okay to miss a meeting now and then. In principle we do expect full attendance.
How can I apply or ask for more information?
To apply send an e-mail to Laura at L.M.Henderson@vu.nl with a CV and short motivation. If you have any questions you can also e-mail Laura at the same address about your inquiry.